Aarhus University Seal / Aarhus Universitets segl

Info for internationals

Starting as an international PhD student can be an overwhelming and exciting experience. This page is a portal to the most important information you will need in the transition towards getting settled in Denmark.

Below are descriptions of the process for obtaining a work and residence permit/registration certificate and a link to the website for the International Centre (IC) in Aarhus.

Talent Development and International Staff Office have a website describing all the practicalities you should be aware of before and after moving to Denmark. Lastly, here is a link to the various housing options for PhD students.

Work and residence permit/registration certificate

If you are a non-Danish citizen, according to Danish legislation you are required to have either a registration certificate or a residence and work permit when studying in Denmark. Your study at Aarhus University is conditional on a valid residence and work/study permit corresponding to the terms and work place of your study.

The GSNS will contact you and assist you in the application process if you need a permit as an EU/EEA citizen or a permit as a non-EU/EEA citizen.

Application process

When you have been offered and accepted admission as a PhD student, the GSNS will complete your enrolment and employment documents, and thereafter start the application process for your work and residence permit.

Please note that the application for a work and residence permit can be initiated only by the GSNS. It is important that you upload a scan of your passport when you accept the PhD offer, so we have all the information we need in order to start the permit application process. Please note that there may be a long response time, so please have patience, we will contact you in due time. 

After we have filled in our part of the application for your work and residence permit, we will send you an e-mail with application instructions and additional information on applications for accompanying family members, insurance, tax registration, etc.

When you receive the permit confirmation letter, it is very important that you read the terms and conditions for the residence and work permit very carefully and let us know if you have any questions. The GSNS is happy to guide and advise, but please note that it is solely your responsibility to read and follow all instructions given by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

If an extension of your permit becomes necessary, the GSNS will also assist you with the application for extension.

International Centre

The International Centre (IC) is located at AU Campus in Aarhus, and provides services for international students, staff and guests at Aarhus University. The services includes Danish language courses, ”Getting started in Denmark” events, organising seminars and meetings, etc.

You can find opening hours and contact information on the websites for both the IC helpdesk and for the Talent Development and International Staff Office.

16562 / i43