Aarhus University Seal / Aarhus Universitets segl

Traveling for conferences, workshops etc.

Travel application

Before traveling you must submit a travel application (use mit-au login) and get approval before you make any reservations or payments.

Remember that you can only get expenses reimbursed that are included in the travel application. As a general rule, extra costs for luggage exceeding what's included in the flight are not covered by the department. Exemption for this might happen if the luggage is work related, however, only with prior approval via the travel application. More information about what can be covered by the PhD pool.

Daily allowance

PhD students paid by CS (not including  those receiving SU + teaching salary) can get the daily allowance when traveling, while PhD students receiving SU must gather receipts for the expense claim in RejsUd.

Meaning; do you get your full income directly from CS/AU?

  • Yes: Then you can get the daily allowance while traveling.
  • No: You have to gather receipts while traveling and settle the expenses in RejsUd when returning home.

Find daily allowance rates here.


When your travel application has been approved, you can start making your travel arrangements:

When traveling to countries where a visa is required, you can normally get these expenses covered by the project paying. However, remember to include these expenses in the travel application you submit before the trip.

Flights must be book either via. Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT) or directly with the airline - and always economy class. You can use site like momondo to find the most convenient flight, but cannot use it to book the flight.

When traveling in Denmark book via. www.rejseplanen.dk/
When traveling abroad book via. Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT)

or via email:

Max. rate per night in a hotel in Denmark: DKK 1.020  (2018 rate). Hotel deals in DK. The max rate per night abroad is specified in the rules and regulations (only in Danish) available on the travel departments website.

Contact your research group coordinator if you need any assistance. 

Insurance card

To be covered by AU's insurance - Europæiske - while traveling, you must have a valid insurance card. You can get an insurance card by visiting Tina Rudolph at the information office in Ada-116.

Please note;

  • How you are covered by the travel insurance depends on your affiliation with AU - student or employee. Before traveling, you must always check how you are insured.
  • If you suffer from a chronic illness, Europæiske must approve a health declation before you travel. If not you might not get covered. More information at Europæiske's website.
  • If you take vacation days while traveling you are not covered by AU's insurance no matter your affiliation, and you must purchase a personal travel insurance.

Settle your expenses

When returning home, your expenses must be settled in RejsUd - if you are traveling on the PhD pool please remember to upload your approved travel application to RejsUd. Find guidelines for using RejsUd here.

If you need help settling your expenses please ask your research group coordinator or Henriette Grøn.

12742 / i43